“What to look for, and how to select your next dog” (taken from the Whole Dog Journal, April 2009)
“Responsible breeders….The list of qualities to look for in a breeder is long, but some of the most important are:
- Breeds mentally and physically healthy, genetically sound puppies.
- Socializes the puppies well to a variety of places and things as well as to people.
- Breeds no more puppies than she can find homes for.
- Requires spay/neuter for all puppies not destined for the show ring.
- Screens prospective puppy homes carefully and only sells to appropriate private-home buyers who can provide lifelong loving care.
- Allows the buyer to meet the mother of the puppies, and the father too, if he’s on the premises.
- Educates buyers about the needs of dogs in general and the specific breed in particular. Will not sell a puppy to a person with unrealistic expectations of the breed.
- Provides follow-up to be sure pups are doing well and keeps in touch with the owner for the life of the dog.
- Provides resources and support for owners who are having problems with their dogs.
- Takes back dogs who were sold any time, for any reason, for the life of the dog.”
“Responsible breeders never:
- Sell puppies to pet stores.
- Sell sight unseen over the Internet. (They may have a website, but actual sales are personal, and the breeder should want to meet the buyer and have the buyer meet the puppy.)
- Meet you halfway and sell you the puppy out of the back of a truck.
- Prevent you from seeing the conditions under which the puppies were raised.”
Greater Louisville Golden Retriever Club Breeder Referral
The Greater Louisville Golden Retriever Club assumes no responsibility or liability for Golden Retrievers purchased from any recommended breeder. We only recommend breeders that agree and follow the Golden Retriever Club of America’s Code of Ethics.